Sunday, January 10, 2010

After Surgery

Ok sorry for anyone that has gotten the updates from facebook, so here is a recap. Surgery went very well on Monday. I was supposed to be second in line for the schedule but the first person had some issues waiting for lab work so I got bumped to #1. which actually was great because it got me through the whole process a little sooner. Surgery was done by noon. Spend 2 hours in recovery then up to my room. I was walking the halls at 3pm. and walked again at 5, 7 and 11. Trying to sleep was not easy or comfortable. There was the compression stockings on my legs to prevent blood clots that kept inflating and deflating every few minutes, the drain tube with a collection bulb on my right side and an "On-Q" tube going into the middle of abdomen, the IV that was stuck in arm, which kept making noise every 15 seconds and also the oxygen plug in my nose or the O2 sensor on my finger, then there was the nursing staff- who don't get me wrong were great, friendly caring people- but they were in checking vitals, blood sugar, giving pain med and giving blood clot medicine all on different hourly schedules. To top it all off i don't normally sleep on my back which was the only position that I could really be in.

Tuesday-Day 2 was better. They checked me for leaks and cleared me for clear liquids by noon. What a big relief I could finally get a drink and soothe my dry throat. More walking. Got off the oxygen plug and sensor. I was able to turn to my left side slightly so I was able to get several hours sleep in a row. Dr. Billy came by at midnight and checked me out. He said everything went perfect during the operation and said I would be going home on Wed.

Wed- Being very anxious to go home i was up walking the halls at 8, hoping to find out when i could get out of there. Dr Binder and Dr Billy came by around 10 and checked me out and said they would be writing the go home orders and I would be released. So after some waiting and gentle nudging I was released at 1pm. Went home and was able to start was is called full liquids which includes cream soups, milk, juice, jello, broth- Basically anything you would be able to drink through a straw, although that does not mean throw a burger in a blender and there you go.

Thursday - Sat were all basically the same,drink water, have some soup, rest, walk a little and watch some TV. I did walk from my house to my brother's house and back about 2.5 miles i think. I would pay for this saturday night with abdominal muscle pain.

Sunday- spent resting my stomach from Saturday's walk

Now at this point I get 2 questions : 1. How am I doing and 2. Are you hungry.

1. I am doing great- I will be back at work on Monday just one week after the surgery. I will have to take it easy- no lifting more than 30 pounds and I won't be running around .
2. This is a yes and no question. No i am not bodily hungry at all, I am however mind hungry. What I mean by that is I saw a commercial for burger king and thought "Man a burger would be great." Now don't forget I am not hungry at all, but all those bad eating habits combined with eating as I pleased before has got me into this to begin with. This will be the biggest area of challenge and change in the next few weeks

Enough for now, more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment