Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Back to work

Well today was actually day 2 back at work. Day 1 was uneventful and no problems except being really tired afterwards- I think I may have pushed it to hard. Today was a little better. I did have one thing happen however. I noticed some leaking out of my belly button. Yes I said leaking out of my belly button. I called Dr. Billy, he said it was normal and nothing to be concerned about as long as there is no puss, gushing fluid or fever. My brother just called me a freak.

I had some questions so I asked a friend that had the surgery back in 2006.
#1- Will I ever be hungry again or will I just eat on a schedule. She said she wasn't hungry for the first year! Now she gets hungry but nothing like the feed me now hunger.

I told her i start the "mush" phase on Thursday and told her I was looking forward to it. Here is what she said about it. I put it all in for those that are really looking for some answers to the same questions.

Mush is a good stage to be in... I tried scrambled eggs and promptly burped them back up (I don't really throw up anymore, it's so weird to get used to) but I think that I ate too much too fast and really didn't chew them up enough. If you think that you've chewed something enough, give it a little more and make it even more mushy. Even the soft foods you have to chew. One thing that worked really well for me in that stage was re-fried beans from the can. I would take a spoonful and put it in the microwave with a small sprinkle of shredded cheese and nuke it for about 30 seconds to get them hot and melt the cheese. I think that I lived off this for the first month or so, it sat really well in my pouch, was a great protein source and it tasted good. Oh, and your tastes will totally change... what you loved and craved before, you may taste it and it doesn't really do much for you now. Same thing with protein shakes... if you don't like it now, don't toss the whole container... save it and try it again in a few weeks/months. You'll be surprised at what you end up liking that you initially hated.

I will keep you informed about the leak that i will refer to from now on as "the weeping button." Hey you got to have a sense of humor about these things. Thank you to my friend Lisa for her advice and answers.

1 comment: